Q&A: A Forum for Lakesideca Experts and Beginners

Q & A Instructions

[Click map to enlarge]

The GBAGreenBuildingAdvisor.com web site has a wealth of articles on a wide variety of construction topics. Before posting your question, you may want to check out the articles on this page: How To Do Everything. You just might discover an article there that provides the information you seek.

Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions.

If you want to post a question, the usual rules of courtesy apply:
1. Be nice.
2. If you can't be nice, be polite.
3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief.

To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled “More explanation,” look for the words “File attachments.” Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

1 Answer

Insulating conventional corner

I’m converting our 2car attached garage into conditioned shop. I’ve began weather sealing and am trying to decide what to do with the conventional corners box corners. Not sure what the proper term is for that but I’m referring to how the last and first stud in a corner of two perpendicular walls meet so that they essentially form a post, or a situation where there is an empty cavity facing the exterior and now way to access it from the interior.

I’m thinking I should:
-cut out one stud out and toenail it back to the sheathing so it’s oriented like a “California corner”?

In GBA Pro help | Asked By kevek101 | Jul 19 18
3 Answers

Tape widths

I'm doing some air sealing on plywood seams using 3 m flashing tape. Is there some standard range of what the width of the tape should be. Like wall to ceiling edge seam or floor to wall edge seam or even just the seams between two sheets of plywood. How does a person determine an appropriate width to use? Thanks

In General questions | Asked By Smokey059 | Jul 18 18
4 Answers

Geothermal heat pump to preheat propane water heater water?

I have an older house that was built in the early 60s. The first floor has poured concrete foundation walls on the rear and sides of the house. One side and the back of the house is 5' into a soil... one side is about 1.5' into the soil and the front is at grade. When we bought the house it had a heat pump that ran the primary cooling and heating needs. It runs forced air through ducts in the attic and down to the first floor using ducting through some closets. This system is on its last leg.

In Mechanicals | Asked By user-6999468 | Jul 18 18
14 Answers

Complaints about fiberglass windows — plus what is the next best thing?

We are building a house in Quebec province, Canada — so very cold winters and hot / sometimes humid summers. We were set on installing fiberglass windows triple / double panes according to exposure of lot (mainly southern and eastern with a little western and very little northern.)

In Green products and materials | Asked By Tango B* | Jan 22 12
1 Answer

Basement walls: Encapsulate with plastic sheet, tied to interior French drain?

Hello brain-trust,
Wondering everyone's thoughts on this approach.
I'll be installing a full interior french drain in the basement (1960 house), to fix seepage around the cove joint. wondering if i should install "wall encapsulation" at the same time. Attached image shows the idea. basically, a sheet of poly is glued/fastened near the top of the foundation wall, and is run all the way down the wall, into the newly installed drainage system. in theory, and moisture behind this sheet should run down into the french drain--always staying out of the basement.

In Green building techniques | Asked By Corry Daus | Jul 18 18
7 Answers

Opinions regarding European hollow insulating clay bricks

I just stumbled upon a type of clay brick that is apparently gaining popularity in Europe but seems totally unknown here in the USA. Example:

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked By Nathaniel G | Aug 16 14
4 Answers

Geotextile under gravel below slab?

Hello all, I am building a slab on grade structure using the techniques outlined on this and other reputable sites to prevent moisture and soil gas infiltration through the slab - i.e. 4" of washed, crushed stone on compacted soil, with poly vapor barrier on top of stone and immediately under concrete slab.

In General questions | Asked By Chris Johns | Jul 18 18
11 Answers

The final frontier of the all-electric home... grilling!

My propane grill is just about the only fossil fuel-burning device left in my life. I'd like to eliminate it. Are there good options here?

A cursory search finds small electric grills meant to run on a 15A 120V circuit, mainly marketed toward "small spaces" and "apartment living" as an option of last resort.

But what if the grill was much more powerful? A propane grill, on the upper end, appears to use 50,000-75,000 BTU/hr. 50Kbtu/hr is about 15,000 watts. Holy cow! On a 240V circuit, that's 62.5 amps. Running a dedicated circuit for this seems a little crazy.

In Green products and materials | Asked By Nick Welch | Jul 17 18
9 Answers

Mold / insulation / ventilation problem

My problem is related to Bryan’s in his question “Can lighting roof moisture problem” posted on July 1 2018 but with the addition of mold and high RH. Here’s the situation:

I own a 1970ish 24’ x 28’ 2 story alpine cottage style house in Vermont. Construction is as follows:

1st floor - approximately 2’ of the building walls are below grade in the back 1/3 of the building - so most of it is above grade and there are no liquid water leaks.
Slab on grade - no insulation below.

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked By CaroleHunter | Jul 17 18
4 Answers

ERV installation

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice regarding the use of flex duct vs rigid duct in my ERV installation. All of the literature I have read seems to indicate that rigid duct is the way to go due to efficiency and friction loss, but after I ran the math on my design, I seem to be hitting a wall that indicates otherwise.

In General questions | Asked By Chris Roche | Jul 18 18
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!

читать дальше