Please help — I have mold in my attic
2 yrs ago I had a 1940’s three season cabin converted to year round living. This week I found mold in the attic, and lots of it! Let me start by describing the conditions of the attic.
1 no air sealing at all
2 shake and rake R19 insulation in floor and batting against inside walls
3 no vapor barrier
4 I have a ridge vent, but no venting in the gables. I tried to drill a whole to get more ventilation, but I couldn’t get access to the outside by drilling from the attic. Please see picture if helpful.
5 the bathroom vent was vented out a side wall, 2 ft above the fan, and attached with duct tape. It had fallen off. When? I assume I have been venting directly into the insulation for 2 years.
I’m spraying the mold with bleach, and have ordered RMR 80 mold remover. I have removed 12×5 ft section of insulation, and I am in the process of air sealing this section. Can I reuse any of this?
Since I have to go through all of this work I would like to make the space more usable. Either storage, or possibly as a loft. The house is only 600 square feet. It has vaulted ceilings everywhere but the bedroom and bathroom. I have no idea if mold is growing in this part of the roof.
I plan to hire a new contractor, but this time I want to know what should be done, instead of blindly trusting that they will do the job correctly. I’m looking for any advice that will help me be a better informed consumer.