0 Helpful?

Heat loss, can lights in cathedral ceiling

The information about replacing or retrofitting can lights with LED fixtures has been really helpful. However, I have a cathedral ceiling with what I think are standard can lights, with a diameter of 7.5" within the can, and about 9.5 " total diameter including trim--the ceilings are about 18' high so I am having a difficult time getting to one to carefully measure.

I cannot find anywhere residential can light LED retrofits for this size. I've looked at what Cree offers, as well as Home Depot and Lowes, and they all max out at 6".

Any recommendations on where I could find something of this size, or any other ideas? Thank you in advance.

Asked by JWBDSR
Posted Oct 17, 2017 3:20 PM ET

Tags:

Sounds like you have R40 / BR40 bulb recessed fixtures in an R30 / BR30 sized world.

You won't find them on the shelves in box stores, but LED versions of R40 / BR40 bulbs are available online. Do a web search on R40 + LED, you'll find all sorts of retailers (including box stores) selling them over the web.

Answered by Dana Dorsett
Posted Oct 17, 2017 3:42 PM ET

Thank you very much for your response. The R40 / BR 40 bulbs are easy to find, but I'm still striking out on finding R 40 / BR 40 size recessed LED fixtures and/or LED conversion kits. Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Answered by JWBDSR
Posted Oct 17, 2017 9:55 PM ET

JWBD,
Here is a retrofit LED fixture that is 7 inches in diameter -- described as a can light retrofit:

Maybe you should get a high step ladder so that you can get a good measurement of your existing can lights, to determine whether this 7-inch-diameter fixture will work.

Answered by Martin Holladay
Posted Oct 18, 2017 7:43 AM ET

Mr. Holladay, thank you for the link. I've read your articles through this web site and they are very helpful. Thanks.

Answered by JWBDSR
Posted Oct 18, 2017 8:24 AM ET

I have used these LED fixtures on a few occasions they come in 4, 6, and 8 inch diameter and very easy to install and sit fairly flush with the ceiling.

Answered by Jeremy Archer
Posted Oct 18, 2017 8:42 AM ET

Jeremy - how well do these LEDs air seal?

Answered by Norman Bunn
Posted Oct 19, 2017 7:16 AM ET

Norman

I have never installed these in a ceiling with a vented attic above and conducted a blower door test. So far i have used them in a basement and in soffits. In my opinion they provided a very nice tight fit. The fixture comes with a foam gasket that can go between the light and the ceiling material and it is held in place by two fairly tight spring loaded clips that pull the light towards the gasket. I don't see why you couldn't add some caulking as well to increase the seal but i would refer to the manufacturer to be sure.

Answered by Jeremy Archer
Posted Oct 19, 2017 8:28 AM ET

Thank you for the LED fixture recommendations. One more question--is anyone aware of an 8" led retrofit gimbal fixture--one that adjusts so the light will shine downward with a sloped ceiling? Again, there are many 6" available, but I struggled to find an 8". Thank you.

Answered by JWBDSR
Posted Nov 4, 2017 10:12 AM ET

Other Questions in Energy efficiency and durability

Detailing a Chimney

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Kevin Spellman | Nov 21, 17

Carpet on concrete slab--vapor barrier?

In General questions | Asked by Mark Waldron | Nov 20, 17

Which gas furnaces are most efficient in their use of electricity?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by rich cowen | Nov 16, 17

Attic fan for ventilation in winter?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Feiks | Nov 20, 17

What is a minisplit’s lifespan?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Timothy Godshall | Nov 20, 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!