0 Helpful?

Sauna inside home

I was in a home earlier this summer where the homeowner had decided to put a sauna on the second story of his home. The home was new construction with the homeowner acting as the general contractor, and is located in zone 7, less than 100 miles from the Canadian border, and is in a rural location with no inspections. Construction is code minimum 2 x 6 framing with osb sheathing, R-21 fiberglass bat and class 1 poly vapor barrier, house wrap and smart siding. No rain screen. The vented attic was not insulated when I was there, but will most likely be R-49 blown fiberglass. The sauna is 6 x 6 with 8 foot sidewall, has one exterior wall and the vented attic above with the poly vapor barrier. There was also a small vinyl non-operating window. He intends to add foil faced bubble wrap to the walls and ceiling and finish with cedar boards(lots of little holes punched in the vapor barrier). The sauna stove is electric. I did talk the homeowner into removing the recessed can from the ceiling and he added a wall light on an interior wall. I have no idea how often the sauna will be used. Given the 100% humidity level and a possibility of 150 degree temperature difference between outside and inside temperature while in use, what kind of problems would be expected and what should he have done differently?

Asked by Randy Williams
Posted Oct 17, 2017 7:23 AM ET

Tags:

Randy,
I'm guessing that everything will probably be OK (although the foil-faced bubble wrap may give off a funny odor -- not sure on that one).

The worry with this room is outward vapor drive. The bubble wrap, believe it or not, should do a pretty good job of addressing outward vapor drive.

Reducing air leakage is always a good idea, and it's not clear how much attention was devoted to air sealing. Getting rid of the recessed can light was obviously good advice.

This type of sauna is probably used for only 6 hours per week or less, so I doubt there will be many problems.

Answered by Martin Holladay
Posted Oct 17, 2017 7:44 AM ET

Other Questions in Energy efficiency and durability

Detailing a Chimney

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Kevin Spellman | Nov 21, 17

Carpet on concrete slab--vapor barrier?

In General questions | Asked by Mark Waldron | Nov 20, 17

Which gas furnaces are most efficient in their use of electricity?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by rich cowen | Nov 16, 17

Attic fan for ventilation in winter?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Feiks | Nov 20, 17

What is a minisplit’s lifespan?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Timothy Godshall | Nov 20, 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!