0 Helpful?

Knauff JetSpray Insulation

Does anyone have experience with Knauff JetSpray mineral wool insulation. The demos look very impressive, as does the R-value, but I can't find any mention of cost or of anyone's experience using it.

Asked by Norman Bunn
Posted Aug 5, 2017 8:39 AM ET

Tags:

Data sheet is here: .

Answered by Ethan T ; Climate Zone 5A ; ~6000HDD
Posted Aug 5, 2017 10:00 AM ET

Thanks. I have perused the information on their website, which piqued my interest. Does anyone know the typical cost per square foot or have experience using it?

Answered by Norman Bunn
Posted Aug 5, 2017 6:03 PM ET

It would be good to get an opinion from a drywaller.

Answered by william Goodwin
Posted Aug 6, 2017 9:27 AM ET

Norman,
You should try to find a local insulation contractor who is willing to give you a price for installing this type of insulation. My guess is that this insulation is only available in a few geographic areas.

If you can't get it locally, the price is irrelevant.

If you can find a local contractor, you'll be able to get a price estimate from the contractor.

Answered by Martin Holladay
Posted Aug 8, 2017 10:43 AM ET
Edited Aug 8, 2017 10:44 AM ET.

I have the same question, Norman. Product attributes sound terrific (R23 in a 5.5" cavity) but they really don't give us enough information to justify a field trip: no information about vapor permeability (it looks pretty porous in the video) or foam content, if any (and if there's no foam, what's the binder?), or flame resistance, or ... anything except R value. Nothing about cost, either (other than 'affordable', which we all know is a codeword for 'expensive'.) We need more info, and we need someone who has at least seen the product first hand!

Answered by Rob Hunter
Posted Sep 12, 2017 1:41 AM ET

The builder's brochure identifies the product as "glass fibers." It used a water activated adhesive to bind the fibers during spraying. All the product documents are located at .

Answered by Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia
Posted Sep 12, 2017 9:43 AM ET

This product VERY comparable to 1.8lb density JM Spider Plus. Like Spider, Knauff's product is fiberglass (not rock wool) with similar methods & adhesives, R23 @ 5.5", etc See:

Answered by Dana Dorsett
Posted Sep 12, 2017 11:03 AM ET

So, after 2+ hours of webwalking topic=JM Spider, I have a lot more reading to do. I've never used densepack glass, with or without adhesive binder; it sounds like a pretty good option to research further. Thanks all for the pointers.

Answered by Rob Hunter
Posted Sep 12, 2017 1:48 PM ET

I am pretty sure the Knauff JetSpray is rock wool. They have another product, JetStream , which uses fiberglass.in a BIBs installation.

Answered by Norman Bunn
Posted Sep 12, 2017 2:16 PM ET

Rob,
Among the sources of information on Spider insulation is a website called GBA: Getting to Know Spider Insulation.

Posted Sep 12, 2017 2:21 PM ET

Norman,
At least includes this sentence: "Knauf Insulation’s glass fibers are innately mold-resistant."

Posted Sep 12, 2017 2:26 PM ET
Edited Sep 12, 2017 2:27 PM ET.

The glass reference is the builder's Jet Spray Tri-fold brochure, on page 3 (PDF pagination).

"• Knauf Insulation’s glass fibers are innately
mold-resistant and do not support microbial
growth, reducing builder liability. "

All of the promotional pictures of the product are way too white to be mineral wool, not that advertising photos always depict reality...

Answered by Dana Dorsett
Posted Sep 12, 2017 2:49 PM ET

Other Questions in Energy efficiency and durability

insulating a nothern brick house

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Morgan Jones | Sep 26, 17

Material choice for large exterior insulated widow shutter

In Green products and materials | Asked by Al Ladd | Sep 26, 17

exhaust-ducted HRV vs simplified

In Mechanicals | Asked by pshyvers | Sep 26, 17

Is an HRV/ERV absolutely necessary?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Jeremy Archer | Sep 26, 17

Half Lite or No lite sliding patio door?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Dave R | Sep 25, 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!